Reality Check

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Jun 7 11:41:44 UTC 2002

I disagree. I see Debian/Linux as the sort of success the SqF should be.
That doesn't depend on money, it depends on a clear process that

A. Gives all possible initiative to the individual, in complete contrast
to our own current setup, where making a contribution *that lasts* is
always dependent on at least 3 people that are usually uncoordinated -

John D. Squeaker -> a Harvester -> SqC current integrator

B. Maintains enough cohesion between these independent parts using
shared poicies, mechanisms and repositories.

I think we need a billion bucks like a hole in the head.

What we need is people to propose to homestead a bunch of modules and
then make those as good as they can, with peoples modules' published in
a public shared repository *outside the limited access space of internal
updates*.

This repository is the the *existing, public* net repository on the
squeak foundation site.

Publishing there is this easy -
<get a user/password from Cees for you personal project space on the SqF
site>
| mod |
mod _ Module fromPath: #(People dvf MailNotifier) forceCreate: true.
MailNotifier moveTo: mod. "(you need my changeset of MovingClasses for
this convinience message)"
mod repository beStandalone.
ModuleInstaller upload: mod

There. You want to see my MailNotifier? first delete the one in you
image (that's okay, it's broken).
Then,
ModuleInstaller fullyInstallFromPath: #(People dvf MailNotifier) <do it>

That's it, look at your top left corner. Not only are comments bug
reports and so on welcome, *I can even act on them* by just publishing
again.
And anyone can get the new version in 7 seconds flat.

Daniel