Reality Check

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Jun 7 14:13:53 UTC 2002

At Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:09:02 -0400,
Stephen Pair wrote:

> Unfortunately, I doubt that a squeak foundation will have much success
> without some sort of financial support (at least not the kind of success
> that most people here would like to see).  And, with very little
> commercial activity in Squeak, that financial support might be a long
> way off.  If only we could convince IBM to invest $1 billion into
> Squeak.

Maybe, we can try to setup a squeak consortium financed by the new
european research and technological program FP6
(http://europa.eu.int/comm/research/fp6/index_en.html) that will
started in November 2002.
In the FP6, there is two new intruments called Network of Excellence
(http://europa.eu.int/comm/research/fp6/pdf/ip_provisions_070502.pdf)
for consortium, but maybe to much research-oriented and Integrated Project
(http://europa.eu.int/comm/research/fp6/pdf/ip_provisions_070502.pdf).
There is already some open-source projects supported by Europe program
like Agnula : http://www.agnula.org/, a Linux audio distribution, so
why not Squeak ?

With FP6 money, we can pay some developpers, students in our
universities, sustained some research work in order to enhance
specific aspects of Squeak, have regular meetings, made some
advertisements, ...

What do think about ?

--
Serge Stinckwich                                         -< )  http://multiagent.com/