[OT]Mac OS-X irritatingly slow on G3 pBook

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Jun 8 17:08:00 UTC 2002

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 11:22  PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> Time, which version of OS-X are you running, and how much real memory
> do you have in that powerbook?
It's the very latest update 10.1.5 as of yesterday and the machine has
192Mb ram. The disk was freshly formatted for the original installation
and I've added just three pieces of software since then - Squeak,
Quicken and Netscape.

Squeak runs just as well as before, same tinyBenchmarks etc. Just
everything else seems terribly slow! Perhaps the easiest to demo problem
is simply resizing a window. Take the Mail reply window I'm typing this
in - you can see it doesn't have much content to worry about but
dragging the resize hook on bottom right is hilarious to watch;
it takes ~ 1sec to notice and do a first redraw
it stops after a few redraws (actually maybe when the cursor stops
moving? Hmm, that seems more like it)
it will jump to the last cursor pos when you give up waiting and either
let go of the mouse button or move the mouse again.

It's about as annoying as using Morphic on my Acorn :-)

I should however point out that I think it's a huge  infrastructure
improvement for Apple and I really wouldn't want to go back to OS9.

tim at sumeru.stanford.edu