Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sun Jun 9 12:24:19 UTC 2002

Surprise!  Another newbie arrives to inform us that Squeak is deficient
because it doesn't look like Windows.  The archives are replete with
these arguments, which have been discussed substantively again and
again.  Bottom line: don't like it, fix it.  Many have implemented
various forms of "work-alike"-ism in the past -- including direct GUI
access, and interestingly enough, nobody really used them -- there
simply wasn't the need and demand for it that the newbies anticipated.
The projects ultimately laid fallow after completion and dropped into
the bit bucket.

I don't agree that this is even a desirable goal.  It is important to
note that Squeak is the *only* system i know of that adequately meets
the promises of "write once, run anywhere" proffered by Java in the
early days.  Squeak applications run pixel-for-pixel identically across
many platforms.  This is a big advantage in many of the applications I
have built.  I'd be devastated to lose that for the "virtue" of aping
the Windows API.

For the record, I don't find Squeak all that idiosyncratic.  And Squeak
hasn't had trouble finding excellent contributors either.  In short, I
see no compelling need to make the changes suggested.  But here's the
neat thing -- for those that do, Squeak lets you build it.  Instead of
arguing about it, just do it.  Otherwise, review the archives and learn
why nobody really is interested in doing what Karl and a zillion others
before him suggest.