3.3.1 for Unix

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Sun Jun 9 20:35:23 UTC 2002

Ned,

> Quick comments:
>
> (1) the mouse wheel should generate ctrl-arrow keys, not arrow keys,
> so the windows will scroll, rather than the cursor moving.

Can't you just hold down the CTRL key while you twiddle the wheel?  I find
having both behaviours available lots more convenient than being forced to
move from the mouse to the keyboard arrow keys when I want to move the
cursor one line up/down.  Even more so in a selection list, where
scrolling the pane is _way_ less useful than moving the selection item up
or down.  (Any my left hand is hovering over the CTRL key almost all the
time -- so holding it down to scroll the pane when that's what I
really want is no biggie.)

What do other people think?  (What do other VMs do?)

I could reverse the behaviour (wheel => scroll pane, wheel+CTRL => move
line up/down) if that's what people prefer.

> (2) Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 0
> says in the comment that it will return the full pathname of the
> Squeak VM. I ran it as:
>
> PATH=~/Squeak/Squeak-3.3.1/i686-pc-linux-gnu/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.3.1/:$PATH
> squeak Squeak3.2gamma-4881.image
>
> and it returned only 'squeak'.

Check.  (Which is odd because none of that code has changed in
ages.  I'll investigate right away.)

> (3) I ran Squeak from the command line in a terminal (not in the
> background). I then went to that window

The Squeak window or the xterm window?

> and drag-selected some text (to paste into this message).
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

I can't reproduce this at all.  Still, there aren't too many places where
the window ID pops up, so I'll go look very carefully.

*Thanks* for the feedback!

Regards,

Ian