Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at networkinference.com
Mon Jun 10 08:56:41 UTC 2002

> From: Matthew McCowan [mailto:Matthew_McCowan at littlehoop.cc]
> On 6/8/02 3:13 PM, "Jim Benson" <jb at speed.net> wrote:
> > Matthew,
> >>  I still wish Squeak had a bridge back to normal
> >> programmers.  It looks so alien.  It has its own rules.
[...]
> I guess what bugs
> me is the lack of respect for the operating system I chose.

How many Web sites have you seen where the designers have chosen to break
with the UI principles of *any* chosen platform by deliberately replacing
button images?  How many Flash-driven sites have inspired fear and loathing
everywhere due to their utterly non-standard UI widgets?

These Web-delivered UIs are the direction in which the world is moving, at
least until dear Tim Berners-Lee's idea of the Semantic Web starts to kick
off in about five years, and probably for a long time beyond that.  Expect
your applications to look more alien and idiosyncratic than ever, not less.

		- Peter