Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Jun 10 10:06:17 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Diego Gomez Deck <DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> First, I'm not the same person that start the thread.
> Second, the way of talking about 'Another newbie' is a problem.

I agree.

[SNIP]
> >>And, by now, has no problem losing excellent contributors.
> >
> >Does it really?  And who are they?
>
> I don't remember the names, but the projects. examples: MorphicWrappers,
> BC, a *lot* of bug fixes, a *lot* of minor improvements, Date & Time
> refactoring ( http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1871 ), Whisker Browser,
> etc, etc, etc.

Well, I am not sure but BC isn't dead (or is it?) - it's just "idling" a
bit. :-)
It will most surely get adopted I think - but there is a grand plan for
this, ask Tim Rowledge or read on:
http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/57

Whisker is live and well I hope, since it's Doug's creation I hardly
think it has been lost.

BUT... I still agree with you Diego that the current process for getting
stuff into Squeak is not working "that good".
We should (and are trying I think) fix this and one step in the right
direction is helping out in 3.3alpha land with Modules. Modules is a
very important "enabler" here.

When we have Modules working we should probably take a good look at the
current Harvesting process and move it into the Modules world.

regards, Göran