[SF]VM building project third report

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jun 10 23:33:11 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:13:45PM +0200, Ian Piumarta wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Lex Spoon wrote:
> > Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr> wrote:
>
> > Both systems are equally complicated.  Perhaps there is a lack of
> > understanding?
>
> Please, before saying the new scheme is as complex as the old, read the
> HowToBuildFromSource document.  And if you've already read it and still
> think it's complicated then yes: there _is_ a lack of understanding.

I won't hazard an opinion as the which approach is superior, but I am
happy to report that your (Ian's) new build mechanism worked fine for
me, requiring a minimal (one line) Makefile.inc in order to convince
UnixOSProcessPlugin to participate. This one-liner pertains to twiddling
the include path, and would not be required by other plugins, so it
seemed quite appropriate to localize the change there.

I'll have to confess that I did cheat by reading HowToBuildFromSource in
advance, so the process may be more difficult in the general case ;)

Dave