Morphic documentation

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jun 11 19:35:10 UTC 2002

>Sergei Gnezdov wrote

 I spent a lot of time reading tutorials on morphic.  All I can find is a
> small bits of information about layouts, windows, some widgets, events.  My
> biggest problem is that I don't want to go through 10 introductory
> tutorials on how to create a morphic project, drop several components into
> it and then modify a value to be displayed.  Tutorials are great to see how
> easy things can be done.  There is nothing to look at after tutorial has
> been finished.
>
> There are a lot of morphs.  What is the diffence between different
> morphs.  Yes, star morph is cool.  What do I do with it?  Why do I need
> it?  In a category windows there are 23 items.  9 items are different
> pluggable windows.  I can't even count how many different variations of
> *String* and *Text* morph can be found.  I just want a simple label!   How
> about a simple edit field?  What about drop down list.  How in a world do I
> put components in a single window?  Which window among 23 items is the
> right one?
>
> Is there anything close to a complete documentation about most important
> components?
> How are these components intended to be used?
>
> A lot of things look very nice.  It seems that I can try things quickly
> from scrapbook/workspace, but it is not much fun to try every widget and
> execute every method and see what happens.
> May be I am too picky, but it takes a lot of time to investigate what every
> component does.

In Rosario, some of my students share your point of view.
I think the lack of documentation is not a problem.
You see, we organize a little group for Squeak beginners and one of our task
is produce that documentation (in Spanish , later in English).
We can help beginners from beginners point of view.
Tell us what you want to do and see if we can share some.
Edgar De Cleene , SqueakRos