[CS] VmBugDemonstration - an apparent bug in the 3.2 VM!

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 16:02:42 UTC 2002

Sorry about subclassing from the wrong class instead of Object.

When I posted this change set from Squeaks "mail to list" function, I put a
descriptive message in the body of the Celeste e-mail window that didn't appear
to make it to the list.  Perhaps I forgot to accept it before sending??

Anyway, what I had said was it appeared to manifest only in the debugger, so I
concluded that, actually, it does not appear to be a bug in the VM itself.
Sorry about that confusion.

I had tears of joy streaming down my cheeks when I finally realized the way out
of the pain (moving the block-temp out), but I thought I would still post it.

So, when I use a block temp, does the Compiler just move it up as a method temp
in the compiled representation, and that's why the decompiler didn't know it
was a block temp?  That would seem to help with compatibility with other
Smalltalks, but not necessarily an optimization, right?