Building headless on unix

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 18 02:35:24 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:34:53PM -0700, Colin Putney wrote:

> Hi Squeakers,
>
> I'm attempting to build a headless vm for installation on a Linux web
> server. This machine is command-line only - no X Windows installed - so
> the standard precompiled distribution doesn't work.

As Tim pointed out, this is probably bit rot. But for your purposes,
you can probably get by just fine by using the "-headless" option when
you run the VM. In other words, you can use a normal Unix Squeak VM
with all the X window libraries linked into it. As long as you run
it with the "-headless" option, none of the libraries get used, and
everything should be fine. Happily, I do not have a Linux box with no
X windows installed to actually confirm this, but it really should be OK.

If that proves not to be the case, you may be stuck with fixing the
bit rot, or figuring out how to build a static linked VM which will
not care if the X run time libraries are installed on the target machine.

Dave