Idea to get money in Squeak community

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jun 18 19:45:18 UTC 2002

> With SqF having stalled (I haven given up my attempts to communicate with
> Dan
> for the moment; I've got other stuff on my mind), I think the German
> Squeak
> Verein is a good place to send money to. It's a democratic institution,
> it's a
> legal entity (well, it is but it ain't usable probably until the
> registration
> bits are dealt with), etcetera. In short, it's everything what SqF will
> be,
> when everyone gets some time to set it up ;-).
>
> I'm helping ESUG with setting up an on-line payment system for stuff like
> congress registrations. It might be an idea to use that system to enhance
> things a bit, with maybe a separate page for Squeak e.V. donations and
> CD sales. I'll keep it in mind for when the main stuff runs.

Please do. I think that we should do the squeakfoundation and do not wait
for people.
I have no problem to see a structure running in Germany if you are the
only active people. I would like to see a place where I can buy Squeak Cd
with a different kind of prices, and one Supporting Squeak Price.

Our Universities are rich to buy silly software so if the German
Foundation could
ship a distribution (simple low profile) we could buy it and ask others to
do the same.
I would not have any problem to buy twice a year a cd that would contain a
dump of the wiki, the VM and all the books, columns material.
ESUg is currently stabilizing a Smalltalk Cds and you could use the
material to create a Squeak Distribution. Then with some sexy names like
Emmental or another Cheese brand we could have in no time a nice site.

Stef