[IDEA] Gtk2.0 and Squeak in the 'real boring world'

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 00:36:38 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 23:00, Nahuel Greco wrote:
> Hi, I want share an idea of how to make Squeak more "real world" friendly.
>
> Anti-flame Disclaimer:
>
> I think that Squeak must strongly keep their research objectives, but at
> the same time, we don't live in a perfect world. There are projects were
> alternative interfaces are not an option, maybe projects that can gain
> big benefits if were created with Squeak (or at least, reduce programmer
> headaches). Also, making more feasible to create "boring commercial" apps
> in Squeak will help to grow his user base, and in the end, attract more
> people to the Morphic world. And no, I don't want to use commercial
> smalltalks.

//snip//

> So.. it is really so easy to make the gtk2 bindings?, what do you think?

I wonder if this could be done as a module? I don't know enough about Gtk or
modules to comment on a programming level, but observe that Small Eiffel has
Gtk bindings. I do recall that someone tried this with an earlier version of
Squeak and came unstuck at some point.

I quite like the idea of being able to stick Squeak morphs in Gtk. Gtk is a
really attractive Widget set (IMHO).

Cheers

John