[IDEA] Gtk2.0 and Squeak in the 'real boring world'

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Jun 20 02:27:47 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 06:07 pm, Kevin Fisher wrote:

> I believe there was an attempt at creating both Qt and GTK+
> bindings for Squeak a few years back...it was called "TalkTalk"...I
> don't believe the author finished it.  It is an attractive idea,
> however...sounds like a job for a plugin!

I don't know how easy that would be. You'd want to tie Gtk events
(signals or whatever) to Squeak code (ideally); AFAIK there's no way
to call back from a plugin into Squeak code.

It's too bad, really; if you look at the Ruby bindings for Gtk, you'll
see that the callback code is very small.

So you'd be limited to something like the existing Event Queue: a
Semaphore-synchronized array of bytes somewhere.

There was an attempt not too long ago that used the Win32 API and
responded to most (or all, I forget) Windows callbacks in C code. It
then passed event information back up via the existing event channel.

I don't know how far they got.
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com