[IDEA] Gtk2.0 and Squeak in the 'real boring world'

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 20 19:59:45 UTC 2002

Tom <tom7ca at yahoo.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I think the ability to create top-level windows would be very valuable.
I'd certainly agree with that idea; it would get over one of the biggest
practical obstacles to doing 'normal' applications. We can clearly do
reasonable emulation of 'ordinary' widgets if we want to put the effort
in (JimB has done a goodly portion of the work already) and I really
think that close is good enough. Remember that people are getting used
to some truly horrible UI components in these days of tacky html etc.

Note that being able to have multiple host windows doesn't mean that you
_have_ to. It wouldn't take anything at all away from current ways of
doing morphic worlds but would add a new option. Perhaps the trickiest
part (to my mind) would be deciding how to handle input events; one
global queue, one per host window? What about other sorts of events that
aren't really window tied?

tim

Strange OpCodes: CPM: Change Programmer's Mind