Problems with in-browser squeak

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 20 20:45:11 UTC 2002

I've just been trying to run squeak in a web-browser (having foolishly
told a friend how wonderful it was without having actually tried it in
a loooong time!) and it doesn't seem to work too well right now.

First, I tried to install squeak from squeaklnad.org via IE on mac OSX.
Everything downloaded ok and claimed to have installed, but wouldn't
actually run via the browser. Next I tried with Netscape (the latest OSX
version, 6.something) with similar results.
The downloaded squeak worked quite ok on its own though, so it's only
the browser stuff at fault.

Lastly, I've just tried on my x86 linux machine with a lot more success
from the browser point of view - loaded, unzipped, ran ok. However, the
projects appear to be a bit unhappy. As an example, I looked at Alan's
active book project (Etoys and Simstories in Squeak) with the
grasshopper example near the top.

The first thing I noticed was that the text is wrong - clipped on the
right. Then I noticed that there are morphs in odd places; there is a
button morph labelled 'hopper move' off the 'page, a yellow oval morph
below it, a green one labelled 'blah blah' and so on. Surely these are
not meant to be there? To try to see all the text properly, I edited it
(simply deleting space to get it to reflow, or so I thought) and all the
illustration morhps jumped over to theleft and occluded much text.

Clearly this isn't really what is expected!

tim

Strange OpCodes: TIO: Take It Over