Advice - module vs. plugin

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 22 16:04:09 UTC 2002

Jason Dufair <jase at dufair.org> wrote:

> I am finding as I'm playing on Linux tonight that mpeg stuff is
> noticably slower than Windows, even on an arguably faster machine
> (Celeron 400 vs. PII 300).  There is a new version of libmpeg with
> buffered I/O that I'm tempted to try out.  If I am successful, is there
> any reason not to use it?  Also, do we really have to keep out the CSS
> stuff?

Squeak is currently using a custom modification of some mpeg library we
got from... somewhere.  If you want to update MpegPlugin to use a more
standard MPEG library, without needing any modifications, that would be
excellent!

CSS logalities are really confusing.  Does anyone know it's current status?

The Debian folks are keeping CSS at arm's length because they can't figure
out what else to do.  So on Debian you must download CSS libraries separately
and then try to convince your tools to use those libraries.  It's *really* annoying,
let me tell you, to have purchased a DVD drive and a DVD to play in it, and then
to have to smuggle software from overseas in order to actually play it.  Grrrrr.
(Oh, I should mention that your only clearly legal recourse with any reasonable
amount of money seems to be to purchase MS Windows or a Macintosh.
Pretty freaky....)

Lex