[Q] Can Squeak listen on two sockets from the same image?

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 02:28:31 UTC 2002

> It would be great if you can help everyone debug this!

It has had me tied up, zeroing in on it for the last month.  I have narrowed it
down to the exact point where the forked Socket is "failing" in its duty.
Specifically, after the client connects it sends a small ByteArray (4 bytes)
and its sendDone is immediately true, so my code then tells it to wait for a
response.

I have tried looping until dataAvailable, as well as
Socket>>#readInto:startingAt:, which waits on the Semaphore that, presumably,
is signaled once it receives data from the server.

At this point, on the server side, I see the new client socket was accepted and
it is currently waiting for dataAvailable to receive the 4-byte request.  So
both are stuck waiting to receive from the other, but the server is "behind".

I have already started down the path of changing my network test exercise so
that the set up of the server is no longer automated.  I set it up manually so
that image only has to listen on that one socket.

I need to finish that work first, but afterward I will post a reasonably small
demonstration that anyone can reproduce.

thanks..!