VMMaker special change sets?

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 24 17:13:10 UTC 2002

"Andreas Raab" <Andreas.Raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> > These are special for the mac VM because of how global variable
> > accessor code is generated in gcc for powerpc
> > (Globalstructure-JMM.1.cs + MoreInterpAccessors-JMM.2.cs).
> > CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh.cs originally part of the BC vm provides
> > better optimization for ppc and 68k machines. It's undetermined on
> > intel machines.
>
> I never got a working VM out of the CG enhancements. It generates code
> and it compiles but it doesn't run. So I'm not too eager to see it in
> the update stream. For the other two its pretty clear that they'll slow
> down things.

CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh.cs requires that senders of
sharedCodeNamed:inCase: not take any args because the args will be named
differently when inlined.  These methods should be changed so they pass
values via new Interpreter instance variables that are specially
translated to local interpret() function variables (like localSP and
others, see senders of inlineDispatchesInMethodNamed:localizingVars:).
John must of made these changes to Interpreter in one of the other two
changesets.

Cheers,
Anthony