Anyone using the Printing Plugin recently?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 24 20:13:00 UTC 2002

>Has anyone trialed with printing plugins (for Mac OS) with the most
>recent VMs?  We just tried Friday, and couldn't get it working on
>either OS 9 or OS X.  Under OS X with Squeak VM 3.2.7Beta6, any
>access to the printing plugin reliably crashes the VM.  Under OS 9,
>it starts printing (e.g., we go through the print setup dialogs, and
>the dialog comes up saying that it's generating pages), then there's
>a primitive failure.

Gee, I poked this way before my morning coffee, and gee it's broken.
I'll need to think about a fix. The problem is a race condition
between the print dialog and the squeak window in the os-x UI layer.
It seems when we make the primitive call control returns to us before
the print dialog window is actually closed!

Can't speak why the os-9 version fails tho?

>Also, does anyone know where the most recent versions of the CODE
>side of the plugin can be found?  The plugin isn't much use without
>the PrintJob class, which isn't in the base image or updates (as far
>as I've seen).  We have some copies that John sent around, but when
>I went looking for a more recent version, I couldn't find it on the
>FTP sites, John's website, nor the Squeak Swiki.
>
>Thanks for any advice!
>   Mark

Aren't those in the harvesters swiki? Can't say how one would get
them into the update stream, would need more vocal opinion on this
plugin for that. I'll see about posting on my web site tho.