VMMaker special change sets?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 24 20:24:46 UTC 2002

>John,
>
>>  These are special for the mac VM because of how global variable
>>  accessor code is generated in gcc for powerpc
>>  (Globalstructure-JMM.1.cs + MoreInterpAccessors-JMM.2.cs).
>>  CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh.cs originally part of the BC vm provides
>>  better optimization for ppc and 68k machines. It's undetermined on
>>  intel machines.
>
>I never got a working VM out of the CG enhancements. It generates code
>and it compiles but it doesn't run. So I'm not too eager to see it in
>the update stream. For the other two its pretty clear that they'll slow
>down things.
>
>Cheers,
>   - Andreas

As Anthony pointed out you need a change to make this work. That
change is rolled into Globalstructure-JMM. This change along with
MoreInterpAccessors-JMM.2.cs enable one to extrude a VM that has a
global structure (mostly). But to do that you need to flip a flag at
slang build time, which of course is only done by the Macintosh
VMMaker code.

This does make the 68K and ppc versions faster because of how gcc
does code generation for them. Can't speak for wintel... But I'm not
sure if anyone has done any tests there?