VMMaker special change sets?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jun 27 02:47:48 UTC 2002

>Hello -
>
>Thanks very much for all the previous responses and
>info about using VMMaker.
>
>I've now been through the vm building cycle several times,
>following the directions in platforms/Mac OS/vm/readme.
>In order to compile these were the only deviations I had
>to make from the instructions

Hack up a copy of the readme and send it to me and I'll review and
put in the source tree.

>interp.c:
>Added:
>	#undef bool
>because there are variables named bool.

We should find out where bool is being defined, I don't recall this
being a problem when I build, or an extra action item.

>Cross/plugins/sqOldSoundPrims.c
>Replaced:
>	extern int stackValue(int);
>	extern int successFlag;
>with:
>	extern struct VirtualMachine* interpreterProxy;
>	#define stackValue(i) (interpreterProxy->stackValue(i))
>	#define successFlag (!interpreterProxy->failed())

sqOldSoundPrims.c is obsolete and not to be compiled into the VM.
If everyone can confirm it's obsolete then we could delete the file
from the source tree.

>With these changes it compiles a vm.  I run the VM, and
>it asks for an image to run (if I haven't dragged one onto it),
>but then no Squeak window appears - the only sign of
>Squeak running at that point is that the vm appears in the
>dock, and Squeak puts up a File menu with the choice
>"Quit don't save"  (just like usual).
>
>Any idea what I need to do to get the Squeak window
>to appear, or perhaps where I could most fruitfully
>place breakpoints to try to trap the error?

Mmm in sqMacWindow.c

ioShowDisplay this chunk of code shows the window. Try a breakpoint there.

Also send me a stuffit of your *.pbproj folder and I'll compare against mine.

         if (gWindowsIsInvisible) {
             ShowWindow(stWindow);
             gWindowsIsInvisible = false;

>I'm pretty sure I'm filing in the proper special change
>sets, running gnuify, etc.   There were a few points
>where I made guesses - in Step Five of
>platforms/Mac OS/vm/readme   there's a line of text
>that looks like it got truncated - I think it was meant to
>say what directory SqueakVMForCarbon.pbproj should
>be  dragged to.  I'm assuming this doesn't matter that
>much though as long as I've got all the right files
>from platforms/Mac OS, platforms/Cross/, src/vm,
>src/plugins installed in ProjectBuilder via the Add Files..
>menu command.
>
>Related confusion in Step Six of the readme where it
>says:  Project/Add Files ... "GeniePlugin.c to Sources.
>Does this really mean that GeniePlugin.c gets special
>treatment?  I found a GeniePlugin.c in src/plugins/GeniePlugin
>which was of course one of a number of plugins.  I'm assuming
>that the point is just to make sure that the source files in
>all of those plugins (aside from the ones left out like
>FileCopy, etc) are loaded into ProjectBuilder?  Anyway
>I just treated GeniePlugin like all the others.

I've never build with the GeniePlugin.c plugin.