How many Squeak users?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jun 27 06:20:18 UTC 2002

The number of Squeak *users* could easily exceed the number of downloads
or the number of subscribers to the list.

For example, each year for the last three years I've had 4-12 students
using Squeak in a 4th-year OO paper.  (Sadly, this is the last time.)

I downloaded Squeak; now that it's here they get it from our copy.

In the 3rd-year comparative programming languages paper, 30-45 students
toy briefly with Squeak to see what a real OO language looks like.

They don't download their own copies either.

Unfortunately, the person who teaches that part of the paper is even more
of a beginner with Squeak than I am.  (Just as the one member of the
department who has written a book about Prolog wasn't even invited to be
involved with the teaching of the Prolog part...  I have never been a
friend of comparative programming languages papers; 3 weeks to meet a new
paradigm and a new language is derisory.)

The 4th-year students who used Squeak found it hard to get started.
(The Guzdial books are fine, but it seems that LaLonde is still the
best book for getting started in the Squeak environment...)
Once they got past that, however, they came to feel an affection for
Squeak that they hadn't felt for Java.