archival format for Squeak releases

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 27 18:44:25 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> 3) Why should we treat the Macintosh specially when we're not treating
> (for instance) Windows or Acorn specially?
Well I guess because it is an important platform that happens to be dumb
about a lot of important things. If Macs were seriously tiny minority I
suppose we could say simply "tough luck", but a lot of people use them
for Squeak. Acorn doesn't need special care in this area because Acorn
realised very early on that they were a niche machine and would have to
live with everyone elses poor designs. Thus my Acorn has been able to
treat zips/gzs/sits/lzhs/arjs/tars/zoos etc as just a wierd disc for
about fifteen years. Apple, by contrast, always had the attitude of
"we're so important and cool you have to do it _our_ way". Microsoft
always had the attitude of "we invented everything post big-bang, we own
everything, there _is_ no other way" :-)

There's also the interesting point that maybe we should simply to show
that we can, and ain't that just the coolest dang thing bubba, lookit
here this stuff can even handle dem macintosh doohickeys?

tim

Just what part of the First Amendement do religionists not understand?