Lowcost Handheld ARM system for Squeak (was RE: Dynapad R0.1 Rele ased)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 27 19:42:36 UTC 2002

"Swan, Dean" <Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Actually, It's 16.78 MHz ARM 7, but the RAM limitation is the real problem.  If you want a *very* inexpensive 133 MHz ARM9 based machine with a 320x240x16bit 3.5 inch color display, 8 megabytes of SDRAM, and an SMC memory card port, and USB port, I'd suggest the GP32.  It's still only available in Korea, but you can also buy it mail order from Lik-Sang in Hong Kong for $159 US + shipping.  There are a lot of development support tools available on the net.
Hmm, now that's an interesting one I had never found previously. ARM9 is
ok, though 133MHz is a bit feeble. Wonder if they have any plans for an
ARM11/GHz model....
$159 is pretty good too; when searching for boards for Dan's weather
station stuff the best I was able to find (admittedly for somewhat
higher spec boards, big display etc) was around $300 even in large
quantities.
Ah, I see why; it isn't going to appear in a search for single board
computers, is it... still, neat little doobry. Gimme.

tim

.signature not found!  reformat hard drive? [Yn]