The Voodoo of Inlined Methods

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jun 27 22:10:53 UTC 2002

	My question:  What's right?

Squeak does not (yet) do type inference, so it *can't* make inlining
decisions based on the type of the receiver.  If it sees
a to: b do: [:each | ... ] and the expression a is not some kind
of literal, it hasn't a clue whether a is a number or a numbat.
[A numbat is a small Australian marsupial carnivore.]

	(*) By the way, the intended ``upLeft to: bottomRight do: aBlock''
	iterates over the obvious rectangular grid consisting of all points p:
	upLeft <= p <= bottomRight (with step 1 in each component and <= in the
	sense defined by Point).  For the time being, I've resigned myself to
	using another selector.

It's not _that_ obvious.
>From the argument order I guess that up...bottom and left..right are the
orders for the dimensions, but is it row major, column major, or some
kind of diagonal?
What does it do when the coordinates are floating-point numbers?