SOAP for multiple images on the same host

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Fri Mar 1 17:23:35 UTC 2002

Anthony Hannan wrote:
> You use a different port number for every socket you create.
> A machine can have more than one socket connections.
> However, a machine only has one ip address.

This is not strictly accurate (as I'm sure Anthony is aware)...it's
usually the case that a machine has only one ip address, but many
machines (and most server machines) have multiple ip addresses.
However, Squeak currently provides no way of binding sockets to a
specific ip address or of obtaining all of the ip addresses assigned to
a machine.

> To find the ip
> address of your machine do "NetNameResolver localHostAddress"
> you may have to do "Socket initializeNetwork" first.

In fact, "NetNameResolver localHostAddress" always reports the loopback
address of 127.0.0.1 (on all the OSes that I've used Squeak on).

This is a shortcoming of the squeak socket interface IMO.

- Stephen