SOAP for multiple images on the same host

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 1 19:35:11 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 12:23:35PM -0500, Stephen Pair wrote:
> Anthony Hannan wrote:
> > You use a different port number for every socket you create.
> > A machine can have more than one socket connections.
> > However, a machine only has one ip address.
>
> This is not strictly accurate (as I'm sure Anthony is aware)...it's
> usually the case that a machine has only one ip address, but many
> machines (and most server machines) have multiple ip addresses.

Don't forget 127.0.0.1 -- most machines have two addresses, not
one.

Hmm, actually, on most Linux setups, *any* 127.x.y.z address
gets routed and accepted locally, which means there are 8^3+1
local addresses.  Oh, and 0.0.0.0 works, too, at least on
Linux....

> > To find the ip
> > address of your machine do "NetNameResolver localHostAddress"
> > you may have to do "Socket initializeNetwork" first.
>
> In fact, "NetNameResolver localHostAddress" always reports the loopback
> address of 127.0.0.1 (on all the OSes that I've used Squeak on).

Must not have run it on Unix before.  :)

-Lex