Getting rid of metaclasses (Was: Behaviors vs Modules)

Robert Hirschfeld hirschfeld at windwardsolutions.com
Sat Mar 2 10:16:56 UTC 2002

Ned,

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 February 2002 12:26 pm, Robert Hirschfeld wrote:
> > A while ago I started to work on AspectS, an environment to explore
> > aspect-oriented programming (AOP) in dynamic systems like Squeak
> > (http://www.prakinf.tu-ilmenau.de/~hirsch/Projects/Squeak/AspectS/).
>
> In the paper you thank: "Dan Ingalls for solving a puzzle that allowed the
> port of MethodWrappers to Squeak".
>
> What puzzle was that? Just curious...

I've spent quite some time trying to subclass CompiledMethod, but
apparently that wasn't that good of an idea since instances of
CompiledMethod are this interesting combination of pointer and
non-pointer fields.

Dan helped me to work around these issues
(see AsMethodWrapper class>>tweakClassFormat).

Best,
-Robert

---

AsMethodWrapper class>>tweakClassFormat)

	self instVarNamed: 'format' put: (self format bitOr: 16r200).