Generalized Object Modules Design

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 3 15:37:26 UTC 2002

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > >  Methods are compiled with respect to the current working module.
> >
> > I consider it good to have the notion of 'working module'. That would be
> > the default place where the DeltaModules are created.
> [snip]
>
> But let's make it better than the current "working changeset". I often
> wish I could delegate all the changes to one class (or category!) to a
> specific changeset, regardless of the current working
> changeset. Especially if I want to tweak a tool (or respond to a mailing
> list request) in the middle of working on some other projects. It gets
> fairly annoying to have to go back and sort the changed out of my current
> projects change set just because I got all hot to pound out a fix :)

Yeah.  Though the idea can be taken too far.  I guess it would be nice
to have *several* active changesets: a main one, and several others that
have been explicitly pointed out somehow.  If any of these changesets
defines a class where I make a change, then put the change there.
Barring that, if this method already appears in one of those, then use
that one.  Otherwise, use the main one.

I don't like it being fully automatic because sometimes you'd really
like to override something that is defined in a different changeset.  In
particular, suppose you are assembling a bug fix!

-Lex