InternetConfiguration

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sun Mar 3 20:32:11 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Which settings are the really important ones?  Also,
> what's the most useful way to lie in each case?

As far as I know the major plan is to completely decouple the Squeak
plugin from the host browser. So this is aimed at the vast majority of
people who couldn't even set the proxy themselves when a dialog pops up.

The browser knows these settings (otherwise it wouldn't be working). So
what the plugin did until now was to fetch all URLs via the browser using
the Netscape plugin interface. This has various problems, not the least
being that IE5 does not support the Netscape plugin interface anymore.

OTOH, Squeak can do all of this by itself, *if* the settings are known.
I'd say the most important one would be the proxy server, followed by SMTP
host and email address.

The question is how these settings can be aquired automatically on every
platform. For example on Linux, with its variety of command line / KDE /
Gnome browsers that might not be too easy ...

-- Bert