Problem(s) with Squeak3.2gamma-4743

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 4 22:49:04 UTC 2002

> The primary problem is with resizing the world.  First of all, screen
> redraw seems to be very slow and "uncertain", this is even noticeable on
> a ~1.5GHZ system.

The newest SourceForge sources may have fixed this. Could you try recompiling
with the newest source code?  Or, wait until the next Debian packages come out,
and try again?

The issue I have in mind was that HandleEvents() wouldn't always handle
all events.  This is a clever way to deal with primitives that poll the current
state instead of poll for events, but it's not useful in recent images and it does
have the problems like the one you mention.  Nowadays HandleEvents() will handle
all events that have arrived.

> More importantly, resizing very often leads to a
> crash:
>
> Segmentation fault

Yuck!  You mean you grab the border of the window and then drag it
around a lot, and eventually you get a core dump?

I can't duplicate this here, which makes it hard to debug.  Possibly the
above fix will help this, too, though, so please test that too if you get
around to it!

Speeking vaguely, it looks like different parts of Squeak seem to disagree
on the size of the window.  If the above fix doesn't also make this problem
go away, then this problem could be really tricky to track down....

-Lex