Problem(s) with Squeak3.2gamma-4743

Ken Causey ken at ineffable.com
Tue Mar 5 15:03:18 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 16:49, Lex Spoon wrote:

> > The primary problem is with resizing the world.  First of all, screen
> > redraw seems to be very slow and "uncertain", this is even noticeable on
> > a ~1.5GHZ system.
>

> Yuck!  You mean you grab the border of the window and then drag it
> around a lot, and eventually you get a core dump?
>
> I can't duplicate this here, which makes it hard to debug.  Possibly the
> above fix will help this, too, though, so please test that too if you get
> around to it!

For whatever reason, the problem seems to decrease with the time that an
image is open.  On more than one computer I've had a 100% crash rate if
I download the 4743 image and attempt to resize the window a couple of
times (yes, by grabbing the lower right corner) within a few minutes of
first starting squeak with the image.  If I start cleaning up (delete
the squeak logo, close some of the documents and the change browser,
close World of Squeak, etc.) then the likelihood of a crash seems to
decrease.  I've also found the hitting the wm's maximize button does not
seem to lead to a crash (I'm guessing because there is only one resize
event occurring rather than the flood from a manual resize) so this is
what I have gotten in the habit of doing.

Ken