CPU-Usage again

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 7 06:57:15 UTC 2002

Markus Fritsche <Fritsche.Markus at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi, it's me again... :-)
>
> So, I've made the following findings:
> starting squeak with the ComSwiki-Image on a
>
> K6-2/400/linux in Windowing mode:
> speed not killing, but cpu-usage okay.
>
> PIII/900/W2k:
> cpu-usage not noticeable (when running in background)
>
> headless on a k6-2/233/linux:
> squeak takes every little timeslice it could get?
>
> Is this really the effect of "gettimeofday()" as I thougt before?

Unlikely, if it's taking *all* the CPU.

It sounds like a socket is in a wierd state where select() returns
immediately on it, but Squeak is keeping the socket open.  Thus the "go
to sleep" primitive never actually sleeps.  I haven't duplicated it, but
maybe it's because my Swiki image is pretty old and some image-level
issue is happening here.

Out of curiousity, do you see the same thing on a non-Swiki image?

Also, are you using the headless binary (compiled with -DHEADLESS), or
are you using "squeak -headless" ?

Oh, by the way, don't run it in a MVC project.  There's some bug
involving the virtual screen being too small ("headless" mode actually
pretends that there is a display, and just doesn't show it on the
physical monitor.)

> Any hints what I can do? I've already tried shrinking, but it's hard to
> "majorShrink" the Image to somewhat useful for a newbie :-))

Unlikely to help here, though it's a great way to learn a lot about
what's in your image!

-Lex