Can't get new VM to work... [VMMAKER]

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Mar 7 21:24:42 UTC 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> configure --with-x

I don't need any options for configure.

> This time it didn't even finish compiling. Apparently sqUnixMozilla.o is now
> considered a core module, and it depends on the FilePlugin, which I didn't
> compile.

sqUnixMozilla.o always was a "core module". And it depends on the
FilePlugin, yes. But you're right, that dependency should be late-bound.

> So I made only the FilePlugin and the SocketPlugin internal and left the rest
> available (not building them).
>
> There are still these errors, probably from missing prototypes/include files:
>
> $ grep implicit errors.err
> ../squeak/platforms/unix/vm/sqXWindow.c:4146: warning: implicit declaration
> of function `DPRINT'
> ../squeak/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin/sqFilePluginBasicPrims.c:82:
> warning: implicit declaration of function `ftello'
> ../squeak/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin/sqFilePluginBasicPrims.c:186:
> warning: implicit declaration of function `fseeko'
> gnu-interp.c:2086: warning: implicit declaration of function `fseeko'
> gnu-interp.c:19416: warning: implicit declaration of function `ftello'
>
> As well as many other warnings.
>
> Including lots of "defined but not used", which kind of worry me.

The warnings have always been there, they just were suppressed.

> Alas, now I don't even get an EmergencyDebugger.
>
> So I added some plugins. Now the following are internal:
> BitBltSimulation
> FilePlugin
> Matrix2x3Plugin
> MiscPrimitivePlugin
> SocketPlugin
> and none are external.
>
> Repeat the drill: remove the squeak/src directory, clean out the build
> directory, re-generate everything, re-configure, re-make.
>
> And now I'm back to the same errors with Floats.

> Has anyone actually recently built this on Linux in a clean directory
> hierarchy from a stock image?

Yes.

> If so, how did you do it?

VMMaker: everything internal

configure; make

No install, I always start the VM from the build directory.

I'll try to get all files fresh from the net and see what the problem is.

And okay, I'll switch off the warnings. Usually my software compiles
without a single warning: if there is one, it might hint at a bug. But
since even mighty coders like Tim or you are scared off, let's just hide
them instead of fixing.

-- Bert