mac VM 3.2.5b7

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 7 21:33:26 UTC 2002

>John,
>
>>  Unfortunately we can't just remove it because older mac VM, mmm even
>>  the current Mac VM does not trigger the event sensor semaphore.
>
>Neither does the Windows VM and it doesn't matter the least bit. Just
>trust me :-) Take out the #waitTimeoutMSecs call from ioProcess and
>replace it with #wait and you'll see that the system is chugging along
>just happily.

AH, well yes, but it seems we prim the event semaphore everytime we
want to get an event from the queue. Which makes the event semaphore
mostly useless, other than keeping the EventSensor from spining to
look for null events.

Technically it would be nice for async VM to signal it, and not have
the Smalltalk second guess what the VM is doing. I'll try that, but
I'm not sure what value it adds. Other than saving a few hundred byte
codes and a primitive call everytime Morphic wants an event.