Can't get new VM to work... [VMMAKER]

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Mar 7 21:55:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:
>

> > This time it didn't even finish compiling. Apparently sqUnixMozilla.o is now
> > considered a core module, and it depends on the FilePlugin, which I didn't
> > compile.
> The code I carefully put into sqUnixMozilla.c to handle getting access
> to the FilePlugin functions it needs was #ifdeffed out. That explains
> the worst part of the building problems. By accidental happenstance it
> will still link IFF the FilePlugin is compiled as internal, since it
> gets linked to the core vm.
>
> The comment in the area refers to problems loading - loading what, when,
> why? It's been working for several months as a normal vm; is there
> something nasty about being a plugin that affects this?
>
> If we #define FILEPLUGIN_EXTERNAL in line 249 it seems to make things
> a lot better for now.

Only if you build the file plugin externally. That's what defines are for!

The functions I need are not properly exported by the FilePlugin. Any clue
on a compile-time check if FilePlugin is external? I'd rather not hack the
Makefile ...

> > $ grep implicit errors.err
> > ../squeak/platforms/unix/vm/sqXWindow.c:4146: warning: implicit declaration
> > of function `DPRINT'
> This is less of a problem once sqUnixMozilla builds ok - though it ought
> to be declared properly if it is going to be used. I also rather think
> it should be defined in a more general file...

Err, that is a leftover from debugging. I'll remove these two lines, it
works fine now, so I don't need them anymore.

-- Bert