Gee, do you think we would get more users?

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Thu Mar 7 11:29:15 UTC 2002

Jerry,

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:

> > Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> (... a shameless ad spam from Switzerland, some Integral Science Data Center...)

FYI, Bruce O'Neel is the Squeak librarian and a long standing member of
the list. Integral Science Data Center is the signature of his post and
not of the part of the mail he cited.

However I actually don't think Squeak doesn't get enough attention
through the search engines.

If  we want a larger user base a different kind of marketing will be
needed.

First thing would be not to loose the newbies which show up from time to
time. It would be nice to hear from the one who are considering giving
up working with Squeak why they do so.

Another thing would be to have more on-line tutorials and a third to
have an end-user application which people like regardless of the fact
that it is written in Squeak. I'm sure people on this list have proposals
for this - we could discuss that in another thread.

And last but not least - an update of
http://www.squeak.org/about/headed-2000.html
would really be necessary. You reach that page by clicking on
'Entering 2000'. This is really bad as it gives the impression that
Squeak is a dead project now. The top-level site is considerably outdated.
Of course people who did further will soon find out that this is not the
case.

Just curious, Jerry, how did you find out about Squeak and what triggered
your interest to begin to work with Squeak and even have assigned some
tasks to your students?

Regards
Hannes Hirzel