Mpeg Plugin question...

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Fri Mar 8 13:39:44 UTC 2002

Hi Folks:

I've been playing with the Mpeg Player in Squeak in the 3.2 image and
I've noticed that certain MPEG files I play will lock Squeak solid and send
CPU usage to 100%.  I'm not sure what is about the MPEG I'm playing
that makes this happen...it plays fine in Media Player or whatever.

The MPEG files are all MPEG-1.  The one in question that causes the
lock-up has an video bit rate of 2,500,000 bits/sec and an audio
rate 176,400 bytes/sec (sampled at 44,100, CD quality).  This doesn't seem
too unusual as I've been playing 300+ megabyte VCD-quality MPEGS that
are similarly rated without any problems.

It happens on Linux and Windows as well.  I'm using the latest Windows
VM from Andreas' site, and I build the Linux VM from CVS late last
week.  Any ideas?