Introduction

Dave Hylands dhylands at broadcom.com
Fri Mar 8 16:03:43 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm a squeak newbie. I've been programming in C/C++ since around 1985 and I
took a Smalltalk course (using DigiTalk on a Mac Plus) many years ago (long
enough that I've pretty much completely forgotten everything).

I'm looking to use squeak in robotic applications on embedded micro
controllers. My current platform has a 25 MHz 68332 with 512K of RAM and
512K of flash.

Presumably, to access hardware devices, I'll have to add new primitives to
the language (I've seen a document somewhere which describes this).

I also read that Squeak has some ability to convert into C. How exactly does
this work?

I'd also like to get some guidelines on the process of creating a minimal
image.

I'm also curious about what techniques people use for source code
management. How do you integrate CVS and Smalltalk? I'm sure it's straight
forward, but I haven't seen anything yet which addresses this.

Dave Hylands