Introduction

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Fri Mar 8 17:46:02 UTC 2002

At 8:03 AM -0800 3/8/02, Dave Hylands wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm a squeak newbie. I've been programming in C/C++ since around 1985 and I
>took a Smalltalk course (using DigiTalk on a Mac Plus) many years ago (long
>enough that I've pretty much completely forgotten everything).
>
>I'm looking to use squeak in robotic applications on embedded micro
>controllers. My current platform has a 25 MHz 68332 with 512K of RAM and
>512K of flash.
>
>Presumably, to access hardware devices, I'll have to add new primitives to
>the language (I've seen a document somewhere which describes this).
>
>I also read that Squeak has some ability to convert into C. How exactly does
>this work?

A good introduction to adding primitives and Slang (the Smalltalk
subset that is translated to C) can be found in Mark Guzdial and
Kimberly Rose's book, "Squeak: Open Personal Computing and
Multimedia," which tends to be known around here as the "NuBlue
Book." I'd recommend this book as one starting place for what you
want to do.

Don't get the NuBlue Book confused with the White Book, Mark
Guzdial's :Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia
Applications." The latter contains a lot of good stuff, but not the
low-level interfacing stuff.

-Martin