[Q] DependentsArray has weakreferences

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Sat Mar 9 22:04:58 UTC 2002

Diego,

> Dependents mechanism is not only for gui-mvc-views...

Certainly not. But many (most?) places will happily live with a weak
back pointer. You're the first to complain loudly enough to be heard ;-)

> The "view here" is an Proxy that knows how to send a message
> to the other side.  The framework doesn't have strong
> references to the proxies (only weak references to use the
> same instance for the same remote object, so you have a type
> of identity in the local image)

Interesting. But shouldn't the framework hold a strong pointer to the
proxy and the proxy a weak pointer to the model? If I understand you
correctly than this would model your dependencies much better. If the
model goes away then the proxy can be destroyed on the client side. If
not, then it can only be destroyed via a remote message.

> PS: Will you come to SqueakNic?

Uh ... completely forgot about that. When was it? And where? ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas