Some questions and comments

Bill Schwab schwabw at sprynet.com
Sun Mar 10 02:53:21 UTC 2002

Hello all,

The following are some questions and comments based on a little
"real" work in Squeak.  This has occured on a confusing mix of
versions and platforms.  When in doubt, assume 3.2 gamma,
Win98 on a P2-400, though I've done some of it on NT4 and some
on a P-200 running Win95.  The goal was to get Squeak to read
incoming MIDI data and to display it in a variety of morphs.  It
works (for a while anyway, see below) but, isn't anything to brag
about yet.

First, an aside on 3D graphics: the only time that I've crashed
Squeak was by enabling (well, trying to anyway<g>) hardware
acceleration on the Explore 3D morph.  I'm actually glad it
happened, because it showed me that Squeak has a crash dump;
does the dump feature also exist on Linux?

I have managed to get Squeak to lock up though.  Some of it is
probably my fault, but, in 3.0 again playing with the Explore 3D
morph, I find that by "running into the cube", I can get Squeak to
freeze to the point that I have to kill it from the task list.

In 3.2 gamma at least, I've had some less extreme freezes, some
of which happened while experimenting with Morphic, and I think
they were definitely my fault.  It was generally possible to control-
c/break into a debugger, at least on a P2-400.

During some MIDI experiments on a P-200, I've had some freezes
that control-break won't interrupt.  Squeak's message loop appears
to be running though, because it will shut down via the [x] on the
title bar.  It's possible that the work load is too much to ask of the
machine, though the IDE runs fairly well on it.  The choice of
machine was mostly due to having a hand-me-down box that
wasn't doing anything and happens to be MIDI-aware.  A faster
machine will become available in the near future.

Any suggestions for figuring out why Squeak locks up in any given
case?  Again, a lot of my trouble could be inadequate hardware for
the MIDI application.  However, I also get a non-breakable lockup
when loading Bob's UI into 3.2 gamma.  Any suggestions for how
one would debug that?

It seems fairly common for window resizing to leave Morphic in a
confused state; restore display fixes it, but, I find myself falling
back on that too often.  Disabling "Defer display udpate" appears to
fix it, but, (I think) at some performance penalty???

Squeak's appearance has improved a lot recently.  The feel is still
a little off, and my past comment that it would be hard to sell a
Squeak app to clerical users stands; please don't underestimate
the value of the kind of data they enter into machines, nor the
volume of their complaints when asked to reach for a mouse.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bills at anest4.anest.ufl.edu
(352) 846-1285