Document Crafting, Objectively

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Mar 11 14:50:41 UTC 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Alan Kay wrote:

> Here's a link to a description of Lout.
>
> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue27/adelman.html
>
> How about making one of these for Squeak?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> ------
>
> At 12:57 PM +0100 3/11/02, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> >I haven't followed the thread but I have tried Lout as an alternative to
> >LaTeX:
> >
> >-TeX algorithms rewritten in C (and reportedly even better).
> >-Much simpler setup and IMHO to use overall.
> >-Very small to download.
> >-Produced PDF directly, no problem to use TrueType fonts.
> >-Fast.
> >-Has support for graphing, tables etc.
> >
> >Worth a look, I used it on NT4 to write a report for a company and I
> >learned it very fast.
> >
> >regards, G–ran

Coudn't we make a better use of the already existing
Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) export support in Squeak?

For most people a "presentation" is just an OrderedCollection of
slides (projects in Squeak) with an index so you can directly jump to a
specific slide.

A nice thing to have would be a Portable Document Format (PDF) export
accessible from InternalThreadNavigationMorph to output a thread as a PDF.

PDF is AFAIK Postscript minus some things plus some other
things like hyperlinking between pages. A partial solution would probably
just be to wrap up the EPS output differently.

But for that to do one should

1) have and understanding how the current Postscript export encoders work
   (hint: Use Robert Hirschfelds AspectS to discover what's really happening)

2) know the difference between EPS and PDF code-wise.
   I recently downloaded the PDF 1.3. specification but do not refind the
   link on the Adobe site at the moment.

   An introductory short article what PDF is including a worked out
   example is at
   http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?WebPageID=63

3) Some additional time

Cheers