[Q][Celeste] address book and auto-save

rwithers12 at attbi.com rwithers12 at attbi.com
Tue Mar 12 05:50:16 UTC 2002

hi Lex,

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> > I am now using Celeste full time at home and it works really well, minus
> > a few hiccups.
>
> Cool.  Serious users might want to try Filtering Celeste.  It extends
>
> 	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2091

hmm, I'll have to take a peek, when time permits.   I really like the
filters, but the lack of categories bothers me.  Adding a named filters
pane to the standard Celeste would be neat.  So, I said that I really
like filters and I do.  I also think it would be useful to use a filter
to define a rule, like moving filter matches to a given category.  It
seems like it should be possible to integrate the two ways of operating,
 The whole unread/msg rules/category hierarchy is a very common and
useful idiom.  Add to that threading, and it could also grab nntp.  Oh
yes, multiple selection would be nice, too.

> > Here are the questions I have:
> >
> > 1) I was wondering if someone had an integrated address book for it.
>
> I seem to recall someone playing with this....  Anyone?

yes, please.

> > 2) AutoFilters.  Is there a way to create a rule, such that squeak mail
> > goes to the squeak folder.
>
> The way I do this, is to have a named filter for Squeak-list messages.
> Then I can activate that filter and  do "file all" to put 100 messages
> at a time into the folder.  That's pretty fast, even if it's not
> automatic.  Too much automation is a bad thing; the next thing you'll
> want is an indication to tell you what the automatic device just did....

:)   By golly, that must be 3.  Not wanting to start an argument, _but_
I am not convinced that too much automation is a bad thing.  I see
filters as a great, in-place, search feature.  Having that kind of
control over msgs is very nice.  Unfortunately, I don't feel I should
have to activate 5 filters and do moves on the results.  If a msg rule
is a name, a filter and an action, then having an indicator of read,
unread, flagged-for-followup would wrap it up nicely.    Well anyway,
I'll really live well until I decide to give it a whorl.  Celeste is
*very* nice.  I am looking for that last 5%.

> > 4) Is there a way to auto-save after downloading?  I was having trouble
> > with my image and so I lost about 10 emails
>
> It does autosave after download.  Try looking in category unclassified".
>   Overall, Celeste is extremely protective of the messages file.  I've
> never lost a single message in over three years.  I *have* lost the
> categories that messages were store in a time or two.

Mmm, I guess part of my problem was that some of my losses were mail
msgs I was writing.  I did find some msgs in .unclassified. but there
are others I had received that were lost.  I see that the mailDB gets
saved after each fetch, so it already is doing this.  I don't know how I
lost them, but there were at least 3 msgs lost.

Could this have done it?

1) save image, with Celeste open
2) d/l msgs
3) try to copy and my machine was freezing.  kill -9 the image
4) restart the previously saved image
5) save mailDB....loose msgs that are in the DB from 2, but not in
Celeste in my restarted image

> 	2. Safe behavior on image save and reload.  On image restart, the mail
> files aren't read if they haven't changed -- which is a huge time
> savings.  You can save your image with Celest open, now, and thus don't
> need to ever save using the menu item in Celeste.

ahah!  This implies that normal Celeste may have a problem with this.

> > 5) nested categories?
>
> No.  It would be nice, though.  The menu for selecting a category has
> gotten quite long on my machine!

We have HierarchicalListMorphs and Hierarchical menus...  I am just
getting started in Celeste, so only 5 categories so far.

cheers,
Rob