Document Crafting, Objectively

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Tue Mar 12 11:53:56 UTC 2002

On Monday, March 11, 2002, at 12:57 PM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> I haven't followed the thread but I have tried Lout as an alternative to
> LaTeX:
>
> -TeX algorithms rewritten in C (and reportedly even better).

 From what I\ve read so far, this is not really the case.  The real
'crown jewel' (IMHO) of TeX is the paragraph-optimzing line-breaking
algorithm, which is not in Lout (at least according to the Lout papers
I've read so far).  In addition I am not sure it has a lot of the other
"typography know-how" that is built into TeX.

 From what I remember, the core 'feature' of Lout is being a functional
text-layout language.  I am not sure how well that integrates with
Squeak ... ;-)

Marcel
(who's been looking around for places to steal code from...)

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com