Plugin creation question...

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 12 23:32:34 UTC 2002

Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I'm taking my first tentative steps into plugin land...so far, not so
> bad as I imagined!
>
> One question, however:  I'm attempting to create a simple plugin that
> makes use of some external libraries (in UNIX).  When I run the VM with
> my new plugin, it fails to find the functions referenced in the external
> library.  However, if I hack up the makefile and add the missing libraries
> to the squeak executable build line, it works fine.
>
> What is the proper way to do this?
>
> (FWIW I'm working from the NuBlu book on this..very informative stuff!)

If you are using VMMaker to build your VM, then translate everything
with VMMaker, run configure, and rebuild the VM with make.

Two optimizations:

	1. If you generate an external plugin, then you shouldn't need to
translate everything; just translate your one plugin.  You'll need to
install the resulting .so file somewhere that Squeak can find it.  (The
current directory works.)

	2. With recent CVS snapshots, you can do "make update" instead of
running configure again.  This is a little faster.

Hope this helps!

Lex