PPS: [FIX][OSProcess][Unix][VMMaker] OSProcessFix-sr v2.0

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Mar 13 03:17:41 UTC 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:42:51AM +0100, Stephan Rudlof wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> I have *very* good news!
>
> CommandShellV3-0 works now!

  [snip]

> OK, let's try the same script, but without '-xshm':
>
> Voila: this works!
> Reason for bug found! (Don't know what it is though...)

That's amazing, I never would have figured this out! I get exactly
the same result on my system: Run Squeak with the -xshm command line
option, open a "Squeak shell", run a command that generates output on
stderr, and <BOOM>, stack dump.

I think that this is going to be some obscure problem in sqXWindow.c,
but it will be a hard bug to find. Whatever the problem is, at least
it is repeatable now.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad that CommandShell is finally
working.

- Dave

p.s. I think that anyone who can find the root cause of this bug
deserves a free Squeak T-shirt.