Real printing plugin?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Mar 13 00:43:01 UTC 2002

I wrote:
	> Not encouraging.

and Marcel Weiher <marcel at metaobject.com> retorted
	Hmm, it would be nice if you checked what exactly it is you are
	criticizing before slamming it...

Yeah, right.  Blame the user.  Everyone knows that users *KNOW* all
the things they can't actually see, and only fail at tasks because
of stupidity or perversity.

If someone wants to print what the see in a window,
the very first thing they think of is Option-mouse,
which brings up a two-part menu, the second part of which
ends with
    save contents to file...
    send contents to printer
    printer setup
    special menu...
    more...

This looks just exactly like the answer they are seeking.
Now be fair, if someone is trying to print something, tries the
obvious menu, and sees an item "send contents to printer",
don't you think they could be forgiven for thinking that this IS
the printing feature they are looking for?

Don't you think that someone who has found what looks like a printing
feature, and then discovered it doesn't work, is _justified_ in saying
"not encouraging"?  Do you think it reasonable to expect someone to
just keep on searching, while muttering "they must have hidden it
SOMEWHERE", until they stumble on Ctrl-mouse?

Proposal.  Add the following paragraph to the "Welcome to..." window.
I've added it just after the "Morphic" entry in my image.

    Printing

        This release of Squeak does not support printing.  We are
	working on multiplatform printing, and expect to release
	something soon.  In the mean time:

	* If you have a text window, you can save the contents as a
	text file using "save contents to file" from the Option-mouse

        * If you want to save a Postscript version of a Morph, use
	"print PS to file" from the Control-mouse menu.  For most
	morphs, you will get an EPS file.  For a BookMorph, you will
	get a standalone PS file including all the pages of the BookMorph.

[correct this to use the official names for these menus].
THAT's the way to answer people with problems, not to berate them for
their frustration.