Plugin creation question...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 13 16:24:33 UTC 2002

In message <20020313081109.C27579 at blackwolf.golden.net>
          Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> wrote:

> I initially generate my plugin via VMMaker, but my subsequent hacking
> on my plugins use the simple 'PluginName translate' facility to generate
> updated C files for my plugin.
That's ok, but since VMMaker will put your file(s) in the proper
place(s) each time, why not use it and save having to move them? Just
keep a VMMakerTool open, with your plugin in the 'external' list. Every
time you edit the code use the menu to generate just that plugin. Then
go to your console and do make, make update, whatever. If you have
already created and loaded the plugin, you can unload it with <Smalltalk
unloadModule: 'moduleName'> ready to try out thenew version. Andreas &
I did a lot of that when originally dping the VM modularization stuff.
It should still work ok!

> If I use VMMaker each time, will this magically take care of the library
> problems?
There's nothing currently in VMMaker to handle this. As a guess, (those
of you that know about unix libraries might have useful thougts here) we
could add something to either the plugin class itself or to the platform
specific subclass of VMMaker to add these words to some makefile
fragment. For now though, just add them to the makefile or use the local
mkFrag stuff Lex added.

 Bertf said-
>>Sure. This is the Right Thing if the plugin is compiled internally. If it
>>is made external, however, the plugin itself shoulf be linked to that
>>libs, not the VM.
I'd liketo seethat done; in theoriginal unix makefile hacking fo VMM I
just left everything linkedto the vm and relied on it all working
magiacally. For Acorn I was able to work out how to link the sockets
libs to only the socket plugin, which seems prefereable.

>>Actually this would be more useful if sqNamedPrims.o was rebuild, too.
>>There should be some dependencies added, specifically on
>>src/sqNamedPrims.h ...
Don't forget that sqNamedPrims.h is created by VMM and only relates to
_internal_ plugins. SO ifyou do your experimenting with theplugin
_external_ you never have to worry about it at all.

tim

Strange OpCodes: EIV: Erase IPL Volume